Tuesday, July 20, 2010

New cycle details

I've used this blog as a way to document my big thoughts about what's been happening with our IF journey, but I'm going to start trying to use it more regularly for more mundane updates (I usually do those on twitter.)

I went to acupuncture yesterday for the first time since the D&C in early May, although I've been trading regular emails with my acupuncturist.

Had my baseline ultrasound this morning to confirm my ovaries are clear before starting meds tomorrow. Everything looked good (we even saw my right ovary, which hid last cycle and didn't grow any follicles -- hopefully seeing it means it'll participate this time around!)

My doctor didn't count antrals, but my educated guess based on today and the ultrasound pre-birth control pills is 4-6 on one side and 3-4 on the other. Which I'm happy about, and would be ecstatic if they all produced eggs.

Last time we did a microdose of Lupron (20 units twice a day) and then added 225 units of Gonal F twice a day. This time, we're also adding one vial of Menopur (which I've used before on IUI cycles) when I start the Gonal F. So, *gulp*, six shots a day during the stim period. Good thing it's not my first cycle -- it sounds overwhelming even knowing I can handle it.

I may try the Lupron injections in my thigh -- I've only ever done tummy shots (and my husband did the progesterone shots in my butt last time around), but I'm still bruised from the Heparin after two months recovery time, and I'd love to avoid poking my tummy for a few more days.

As long as my estradiol levels come back normal today (which based on the ultrasound, they should), I start my Lupron tomorrow, and add the Gonal F and Menopur on Friday. I'm going in on Friday for an Intralipid infusion to calm down my NK cell levels (slightly elevated at what my doctor considers a 2/5 level; but my TH1/TH2 levels are normal -- yay!). We redo the immunology bloodwork next week to determine if I need another infusion at the time of my retrieval.

The next ultrasound will be next Thursday (July 29), so we'll see how everything responds to the meds this time around.

I'm glad to be starting meds tomorrow -- I feel distant from the process right now, and it's still incredibly surreal that I was pregnant a few months ago. Like I dreamed about it instead of it really happening.

We know that realistically it's likely to take 1-5 more IVF cycles for this to work, but I can't help hoping this one will do it. If we get enough embryos, we'll probably do preimplantation genetic screening to avoid another chromosonal loss. It's pricey, but if it means we put in two good embryos instead one 0-1 good embryos, it's worth it. Particularly since we now know based on IVF #1 that I can get pregnant.

4 comments:

  1. i was wondering if you had started already. i even wrote on your last post an hour or two ago!!

    yaay on getting started - wishing you lots of *goodluck* for this cycle :o)

    6 shots a day sounds awful. surely, as a reward for enduring that, the universe will give you a big fat positive :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I pray this is it - may you hear good news soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sienna -- your post was what triggered me to update. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lots of PMA heading your way. You are incredibly couragous to open yourself up to this, I'm not sure I could do it physically or emotionally.

    Amy x

    ReplyDelete